Sunday 24 June 2012

Interesting

I found out recently that every word I write in this blog, and every picture I post, by dint of it being a Blogger blog, can be used by Google whenever they want, (should they ever want to!) in whatever context they want, as often as they want, with no reference to me at all.
Or, as they put it....
When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. 
Now, I'm not writing to make a million, clearly; so the potential lack of imaginary income of said imaginary use, publication, display etc.etc. is slightly less concerning than the complete lack of ownership and control of my content once it's been posted on this blog.

If they asked me I'd probably say 'Yes, go ahead, use what you want!'
But they're not asking me, they're telling me.
And that I'm not keen on.

So I'll be decamping to Wordpress over the next few days where I'll have a choice.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment